Volunteers Celebrate 60th Anniversary
The Medical Center of McKinney Auxiliary is celebrating 60 years of service this year. The Auxiliary was organized in 1952 at the old hospital – Collin Memorial Hospital – located on Graves Street in McKinney. Mr. Richard bass, the CEO of the hospital at that time, was very instrumental in getting the Auxiliary organized. Mr. Bass also served as the President of the Auxiliary from 1952 through 1958.
The Auxiliary’s nearly 100 members are talented dedicated people who have come together in the spirit of volunteerism to serve the community. Their services are many and varied. Each volunteer has a job within the hospital. Some work at the front desk greeting visitors and vendors as they come through the front door. Others work in our not-for-profit Gift Shop. Other positions include working in the Pharmacy, Food and Nutrition Services, Radiology, Emergency Room, on Med/Surgery floor, as creative Companions for the patients, as Survey Takers and at the Wysong Campus. In addition to their “job”, volunteer also serve on the many committees needed to carry on the programs and events sponsored by the Auxiliary.
Several fund raising events are held each year to help fund various philanthropic projects. The Gift Shop, located in the lobby, is one of the main fund raisers. In addition, the Auxiliary also has other fund raising events that include book fairs, tamale sales, basket raffles, $5 jewelry sales, scrub sales, and bazaars. The funds raised are used to donate non-budgeted capital equipment and other services for the hospital, to pay for prescriptions for those who cannot afford their medications and to provide transportation assistance for patients living alone. The Auxiliary also awards scholarships to high school seniors who plan to major in healthcare. In addition, donations are given to Serenity High School in McKinney and to Samaritan Inn to support their valuable work.
For additional information on the Auxiliary, please call our Volunteer office at (972) 540-4493.