The Auxiliary was organized in 1952 at the old hospital – Collin Memorial Hospital – located on Graves Street in McKinney. Mr. Richard Bass, CEO of the hospital at the time, was very instrumental in getting the Auxiliary organized.
Today, the Auxiliary is comprised of nearly 100 members who have joined together in the spirit of volunteerism to serve the community. With services that are as varied as their backgrounds and age groups, each volunteer is assigned a specific job within the hospital. Some volunteers work at the front desk, where they greet and provide directions to visitors and vendors. Others work in our Gift Shop. Additional positions include working in the pharmacy, food and nutrition services, day surgery and radiology, emergency room, on the medical / surgical floors, and at the Wysong Rehabilitation Campus.
Several fundraising events are led by the Auxiliary each year to help fund various philanthropic projects. The Gift Shop, located in the main lobby, is one of the primary fundraisers. In addition, the Auxiliary holds fundraising events including book fairs, tamale sales, basket raffles, $5 jewelry sales, scrub sales, bake sales and bazaars.
The funds raised by Medical Center of McKinney’s Auxiliary are used to:
- Donate non-budgeted capital equipment and services to the hospital
- Pay for prescriptions for patients who cannot afford them
- Provide transportation assistance for patients living alone
- Awards scholarships to high school seniors who plan to major in healthcare
- Offers donations to area charitable organizations to support their valuable work
For additional information about the Auxiliary, please call our Volunteer office at (972) 540-4993.