Inpatient Rehabilitation in McKinney, TX
Within each of our lifetimes, it is likely we will need at least one rehabilitation service. Through acute physical therapy care, Medical Center of McKinney’s Inpatient Rehabilitation team approach assists patients in recovering from many types of injuries and illness. From stroke and arthritis patients to injured workers, our professional rehabilitation services help get patients back on their feet again.
MCM’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit provides comprehensive physical rehabilitation services as a continuation of the hospital’s full range of care.
Based on their individual abilities, patients are provided with the care and armed with the skills they will need to return to an independent lifestyle.
Inpatient Rehabilitation Team
- Board-certified physiatrist
- Rehabilitation nurses
- Social worker/case manager
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- Speech/language pathologist
- Registered dietitian
- Inpatient rehabilitation patients
Our team of rehabilitation professionals provides services to patients experiencing the following:
- Limitations in strength and range of motion
- Impaired speech and language skills
- Impaired mobility
- Swallowing disorders
- Impaired cognitive skills
- Loss of coordination
- Sensory loss or visual perception problems
- Incontinence of bowel/bladder
We can offer our inpatient rehabilitation services for these medical conditions:
- Fracture of the hip
- Spinal cord dysfunction
- Brain injury dysfunction
- Joint replacements
- Neurological disorders including multiple sclerosis, motor neuron disease poly-neuropathy and Parkinson’s disease
Admission to MCM’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit is based upon the individual’s demonstrated inability to perform self-care or mobility activities, and upon a reasonable expectation that the patient can increase his or her ability to function independently. There also must be a demonstrated need of medical necessity. Hemodialysis services are available on the Rehabilitation Unit.
Patients may be referred to the MCM Rehabilitation Unit by several sources which include:
- Discharge planners
- Allied health professionals
- Third-party payors
- Family, friends or self
- Social service professionals
The multidisciplinary team will develop an individualized treatment plan to help the patient become as independent as possible in the activities of daily living, including mobility and homemaking skills, as well as facilitate re-entry into the home and community. Specific goals may include:
- Increasing physical and cognitive function to the maximum possible level
- Improving the individual’s functional communication abilities
- Ensuring maximum mobility and safety with adaptive equipment necessary
- Increasing independence in self-care skills and homemaking levels to their maximum
- Providing knowledge of available community resources to smooth the transition to home and community
The patient’s role becomes that of an active participant in learning how actions, choices and attitudes affect the neurological condition and learning techniques to manage the condition.
Communication with the Referral Source
The therapy staff is experienced in working with physicians, discharge planners and medical case managers. Progress reports are provided as requested.
Making a Referral
If you believe you may benefit from our services, please call us at (972) 548-5491. A member of our staff will perform an assessment at no charge. Patients and families may also ask their physician or hospital social worker to initiate a referral. Admission is by physician’s order.
Medical Center of McKinney
130 S. Central Expressway, 4th Floor
McKinney, TX 75070